Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Roadtripping notes

So I think Hope might be right when she says that I am craving a little impulsivity, for I have decided, upon seeing approximately a ten block radius of Portland, Oregon (oh, and their section of the I-5) that I should probably live here. Let's see if this impression holds up when I venture out during the daylight!


The Duke and I rented some wee little car and jetted down to Portland yesterday.   The official reason? I am speaking at a conference that begins on Thursday. The unofficial reason? Roadtrips rule. 
Also, the Duke hasn't been to the US since a childhood trip to Yellowstone Park at around 10 years old, despite the fact that we live about less than an hour away from the border. This means I get to pretend to be all worldly. "Oh, darling, you know they have different currency here, right? And beer in convenience stores?"

(Side note- My impression of a car rental company: "Oh hi. Look at our super cheap and flashy website. We are a million times easier than taking a bus! *go to pick up rental car* Oh, whoops, our website had no mention of the complete and utter lack of any insurance in that cute little price... which is actually more than the actual cost of renting the car!")

So what did yesterday's adventures entail?

The Duke making us stop at Jack in the Box because we don't have it in Canada. All we know about Jack in the Box is that it once killed somebody and the commercials are really damn annoying.
Now having actually dined there? I'm not entirely sure there is a reason for it to exist. Especially at every single highway exit
Also, I'm not a big fan of the big bolded calories right next to the prices, especially since I noticed them after ordering. I'm not happy about being at Jack in the Box in the first place. I certainly don't need to know that my chicken strips have approximately half my daily recommended calories in them.
Though curly fries are always a good thing, and lead one to wondering about the rad assembly line that makes said curly fries.

Me trying desperately not to belt out the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs too loudly. The Duke may have been with me for years now, but I'm still not sure he can entirely handle that.

Getting lost in Olympia trying to find Dairy Queen. 

Getting a crash course (not literally!) in converting miles to kilometres.

Rushing to check into the hotel in time for a playoff hockey game, only to discover that out of four ESPNs, not a single one was playing hockey. A re-run of a football game, but not playoff hockey.
We had to resort to a livestream a few inches wide on a laptop.

I am way too excited about HBO, Forever 21, mashed potatoes with cheese in them, and free robes that are so big on me it looks like I am being devoured by a terrycloth monster. The Duke is excited about the proliferation of microbreweries.

We watched Fox News before bed, simply because it is a bit of an urban legend up in Canada (we only get CNN on regular cable). It was everything I could have dreamed. And I had nightmares about Glenn Beck.

Today? If I can get the Duke unwrapped from the sheets in our king sized bed, we're jaunting off to the Oregon Coast. And I should probably, you know, practice my talk, as not to contradict my "official" reason for being here.

17 comments:

B said...

Dudette! That is exactly what I know about Jack in the Box too! I saw one in North Carolina the other day and just... opted not to try it.

Living Dees Life said...

i love to travel!! when we drove from chicago to the florida keys and back it was awesome!! and that road trip alone was enough to ensure that we will last for-ev-ah.

Anonymous said...

Yeah most (reasonable)Americans are pretty embarrassed about Fox News.

If you ever stop by Maryland, let me know and I'll give you a tour of the Old Line State. I hope you like crabcakes!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh Portland and Oregon in general is so gorgeous! its on my list of places i'd like to move to :) Enjoy your trip!!

rachaelgking said...

You should have held out for a Steak 'n Shake. Mmmm... so klassy.

P said...

I really want to go on a road trip now!!!

E said...

Olympia is not the best place to get off. I always get confused there.

Abbey said...

I think just about everyone I know that visits Portland decides they want to move there. I have a sample size of 3. Sounds like a great time. I've never done the Jack in the Box thing. We don't have them on my coast and when I'm on the other coast - no one I am with will agree to go.

Sounds like a great trip though!

Mandy said...

Roadtrips do rock! I am not a fan of Jack in the Box either. Good luck on your presentation and enjoy your trip!

Andhari said...

ROAAAAAAAAAD TRIPPPPP :)

I can really use cheese fried right now :P

Laurie Stark said...

Oh god! Jack in the Box, Fox News, and Dairy Queen? Please don't let this be the Duke's lasting impression of our fair nation!

Kate said...

I should be so lucky not to get Fox News on regular cable.

Also, I'm jealous you're in Portland! One of my very best friends lives there and let me tell you, there is no fun and easy (not to mention inexpensive) way to get to Portland from Chicago. *sigh*

Katelin said...

oh yay for road trips, i seriously love them. and i sort of love portland too, the one time i went it was so fun and quite the adventure.

Yoda said...

Shame on you, ye iPhone owner for having trouble converting units. Shame!

the frog princess said...

Note: Beer in convenience stores is entirely dependent on what state you happen to be in. In PA, you can only buy beer in a beer store (where there is no wine or liquor, that's at the State Store), and you can only buy it in full cases. If you want a six pack, you have to find a bar that sells carry out, and they will charge you an arm and a leg.

I don't know why I felt compelled to give you that lesson, but now you know :) Hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip!

Maris said...

I've heard that Portland is wonderful but have never been there. Hope you have a great trip!

Therapeutic Ramblings said...

Never buy the insurance! It typically only kicks in AFTER your primary insurance. It is a huge cash cow for the companies.