Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Albu to the Querque

My half asleep guy, wrapped in covers, is nearly enough to make me forgo all pretenses of productivity and hop back into bed to play fort all day long.

Particularly so when the rain is insistently pitter-pattering at my roof.

That tangled mass of blankets, skin, and tousled hair, tied together with one of those lazy but genuine grins crossing his face as he opens his eyes when I kiss his forehead goodbye is pretty much destined to be my downfall.

But I manage to pull myself away from the bed's siren song, and prepare myself for the deluge outside.

My pretty boots tends to absorb water, rather than repel it, so I strap on the hideous, incredibly solid and toasty black boots that I have resorted to after one too many puddle mishaps. I transfer my clipboard, agenda and books from my cute tote to a juvenile looking (but rain-resistant) knapsack that appears to have me near toppling state once it is tethered to my back. I slip a hood over my head, completely ruining any semblance of peripheral vision, and clutch a beat-up, sagging, tines-exposed umbrella above my head-- for it is the curse of the constant pedestrian to have each one of their many umbrellas display some sort of terminal defect upon the return of the rain after a sunny week. And, thus, I hop out the door, preparing for splash-dodging and sodden pants cuffs.

I buy an indigo-coloured umbrella from the dollar store in an attempt to distinguish myself as a little colourful and feminine, despite my wind whipped hair.

Even worse, campus is doused in slush, which is infinitely worse than rain in its ability to sneak into clothing crevices before it melts into a watery pool.

My bed is approximately a million times better than slush.

But bright and early I am leaving that bed behind for a cheap hotel room shared double bed.... in exciting Albuquerque, New Mexico!

*cue Price is Right prize music*


Which, today, ironically, is colder than my Canadian city of residence.

Yep, it's conferencing time again. So I've got my bags packed for plenty of schmoozing and learning and so forth.

Okay, and maybe a little drinking (because it is my reunion with all the folks I met in Austin this summer).

And hot-air ballooning!

A few of us decided to take advantage of Albuquerque's famed pastime bright and early one morning-- excitement!

Unfortunately, the exciting airplane diaries (and Skymall updates) may be a little restricted, as I have a travel companion for the prolonged trip (bus to the US, 3 hour airport wait, 2 flights) both there and back. Actually, any attempts at blogging with have to be particularly covert, especially with my roommate's noted tendency to read my emails over my shoulders. I'll be back with tales of any worthwhile hijinks with associated photo evidence!

41 comments:

Pie! said...

Have fun!

B said...

ooooh i wanna go on a balloon like that!

megabrooke said...

I hate rain/slush like that and it just makes the bed seem sooooo wonderful. More so than any other day.

Have a great trip!

Anonymous said...

Ooh have fun in Albuquerque. It's beautiful even if it's cold!

Jess said...

I am so the same way. If Torsten doesn't get up before me, it takes me forever to drag myself out of the bed, and even once I'm out, I usually wind up getting back in once or twice.

Have fun in Albuquerque!

Tina Poe said...

I love the part about your boyfriend, it warmed my heart. Hope you stay warm too!

PG said...

Have fun. I never go to that conference..usually ones that are a bit more specific to my area or CPA. But lots of people from my floor are on route right now.

Joe White said...

wow, it's just turning from rain to sleet around here, and that really made me want to go back to bed.

KA said...

I am a new mexico hater! I spent two years there in a mil school. hated it. so much. therefore i hate the state. It's not reasonable, but still.

Anonymous said...

I want to play fort in bed with a cute boy! *pouts*

Have a great time in Albuquerque!

Tonya said...

I felt that way about my bed the morning I work up to do the 5K and it was pouring rain outside.

Hot air balloon!!! Damn, that is on my list of things to do in life!Have fun!

S'Mat said...

hello! been a while, missed reading you...

this all sounds more like a funference!

one question though... your roommate's reading of your blog before its posted... does that break your quasi-anonimity? or is it more a question of it being freaking annoying?

Anonymous said...

whenever I hear about Albuquerque, I think of Bugs Bunny popping out of the ground with a map and saying, "I must have taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque..."

anyone?

oh, and that's when it's the boyfriend's duty topull you back to bed...then make pancakes later...

Anonymous said...

Aww...If I could just make the 15 hours drive from here to there, I could see you. SO CLOSE. ;-) Have fun, girl.

Maxie said...

Have an awesome time!

I wanna go on a hot air balloon!!!

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to go into a hot air balloon.

Have a great trip!

Larissa said...

Sounds like quite an adventure! Can't wait to hear more :)

Anonymous said...

Do let me know if you're still going to be there Sunday - it would be great to meet up with you if at all possible! :)

DG said...

I can't wait to hear about it! Have fun!

Anonymous said...

have a safe trip!! also, i kinda like it when i'm so bundled up i've got no peripheral vision.

yep.i'm weird.

r.xo said...

I know someone who will be there, too! Have a wonderful time :)

Unknown said...

Hey, did you know that Albuquerque is considered one of the best planned municipalities in the country? I bet they don't give you THAT in your tourist handbook.

You're welcome.

The Author Of This said...

Balloooooooooons!!

Abbey said...

Happy travels! I am traveling today as well across country. I will wave if I see you in the air. :)

Beth said...

Enjoy the trip.
And do indulge in some "worthwhile hijinks!"

Ant said...

Have fun m'deer!

And say hi to all the guys at Austin from me - we had such a blast last time! I'm so gutted I'm not going to get to go to this one... :-p

Anonymous said...

Oh, have a FANTASTIC time!!

nicole antoinette said...

I love hot air balloons! Have a safe and fun trip hun!

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

nmHot air ballooning?!! I want to go!!!

Yoda said...

Hey! I've been there :-) Abq is OK, but if you have spare time, please do go visit Santa Fe. Quite unlike any other city you've been to! Their architecture is so different, and refreshing.

Safe and fun travels!

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

If those balloons had wi-fi, you could blog from the basket.

How cool would that be?

Michelle and the City said...

hot air ballooning? i've always wanted to do that! can't wait to hear how it all went. have fun!

Anonymous said...

have fun...i hope it warms up for you!

captain corky said...

Enjoy, and have a belt for me. ;)

ANA said...

The getting out of bed bit was absolutely heart warming, even for my ice cube toes.

Oooh Albuquerque and Balloons, have fun!

Anonymous said...

have a safe trip! i can't wait to hear of hijinks with pictures included =)

p.s. scout out whether it's a good site for our pending wedding, mmmkay?

Silverstar said...

Have a great trip, take lots of great pictures.:)
Oh and I'd like to invite you to be a reader of my blog, when you get a chance please email me at: space_cadet22@hotmail.com.
Thanks!

singleton said...

Oh, to fly.....to float in the air! Too cool! Have fun, fun, fun!

Miriam D said...

Woohoo! Have fun in Mexico darling!

It is always too tempting to crawl back into bed on rainy days. I feel ya on that one.

Carrie said...

have FUN!!

Rain and slush = the worst. Especially when they claim yet another pair of boots.

mcgee said...

oooh have a fantastic time! i've always wanted to go up in a hot air balloon!! looking forward to hearing how it is.